Joe will hunt you down too!!


I know which novel I would read next and that is You by Caroline Kepnes. As I finished off watching first season of You on Netflix, I am going bonkers over its second season. I binged watched this series and I would spill some beans from the first season as it was so intriguing and captivating. I am wondering what would it be like to read the novel by drawing a big chart on my whiteboard which I did while reading The Godfather by Mario Puzo. That book made me cry for days and it was like my world ended with its last chapter. Likewise, I am glued to You because of Joe and I believe no character would have been so powerful what he played on the screen. 


Joe’s role as a bookstore manager in New York stayed longer than I expected in my mind because of the mindful conversations he played in his mind while being a stalker to the girls he fantasize about or wish to date. Guinevere Beck, an upcoming writer, broke as hell, sweet and sassy, fall prey of his words and first conversation they crack in his bookstore. Joe is definitely a psychopath who leaves no stone unturned in stalking Beck over the social media to know about her whereabouts and obviously the next move. 


What I sincerely loved in this series was Joe’s relationship with Paco (His neighbor Claudia’s son). Claudia is dating a doting parole officer who is always on the verge of domestic violence. Paco suffers a lot due to his mother’s illicit relationship with a madman and develops faith in Joe who gets him books to read and learn from as he grows in life. I loved the caring and affectionate attitude towards Paco throughout the series and making him understand life doesn’t always come up with a manual. Even Beck saw that Joe cared for Paco more than anything else in this world even more than he loved her. 


Joe is scary though. I wouldn’t want anyone to date such a creepy guy ever who can even steal your phone and get to know everything you do on day-to-day basis. He peeped into unnecessary group conversations between friends, he followed beck’s friend Peach and killed her in the end (obviously in the self-defense), he got rid of Benji (the first and former boyfriend of Beck), and he locked her up in the basement of his bookstore inside a glass cage. I believe there is so much up with this guy in his mind that he portrays the same image in real world too. 


I believe the way Mooney (his owner) used to treat him with all those torturous life lessons and ways of locking him up for weeks in the same cage, left deeper scars on Joe’s upbringing that he started inflicting the same horror on others especially the girl he dated like Candace and now Beck. 


I would recommend this series as I didn’t feel like I was in the realistic world while watching it and my love for books has grown deeper after watching this series. I have always loved books and I don’t know if you are a writer or an avid reader this is a must watch series for you. If not for the love of characters, watch it out for the love of books. I loved that scene where Beck is put off social media by her friend to get her hands on writing an amazing short-story as distractions couldn’t let her write for so long. I agree writer’s block strike us all but then we need to find the ways out to get back to our writer’s self before time starts slipping off from our hands. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daughters of the Brothel by Deepak Yadav

I yearn to build Sandcastles!!