Daughters of the Brothel by Deepak Yadav


Life doesn’t stop amazing and amusing me at times. On 23rd December, I was asking to take a final call on my book publishing from a friend who is already an author. Her name is Sana Rose and her book Sandcastles I read and reviewed too. She was suggesting me how publishing goes for poetry and fiction book. She came up with a name called Big Foot Publications. I immediately looked for the information on their website and called on the given number appeared on the screen. I spoke to Deepak Yadav (yes, the owner of Big Foot Publications). He told me how poetry books don’t do well in India but if I still want to go ahead, I can come up with 3 poems as sample along with my author bio. At that point of time, I didn’t know who I spoke with and I gave my book for publishing to a different publisher. In real, Blue Rose was my first publisher so I gave my book to them for poetry genre. For fiction, I would look for more publishers I guess so. 


Coming to the book: Daughters of the Brothel 

It’s a very thought-provoking and brave book from all aspects be it a storyline, characters, their struggles and fears of facing the world. Hats off to Deepak Yadav for doing so much research on red-light sex workers and trying his best to overcome their fears to be accepted in the society that leaves no stone unturned in killing the identity of prostitutes with each passing day. 

First story revolves around Sharmila Prakash, who is a transgender and how he knew since birth where did he belong to. The second story is of Kareena, a sex worker, born with wings to conquer this world but destiny had something else for her in store. Third story is of sex workers of a district nearby Lucknow where Deepak visited personally to pen down about them. I am amazed how he did have so much courage to listen to sex workers and their heart-breaking stories. Most of them were sold for one reason or other. I cried on Jumpka's story a lot. Her heart made me believe there is goodness in this world and humanity hasn't died yet completely. I don't know how many people actually thank god for living the life they have got because they have no idea how people on the other side of this so-called civilized world are living rather surviving.

I am thanking my stars every minute for giving me a normal life and environment because what these sex workers go on everyday basis will make you die thousand times within your heart. I cried on Fatima's story too as she had a terrible fate and destiny didn't let her see her boys for the last time too. These sex-workers are more human and compassionate than normal people because they don't envy us. They still give us blessings and look for the day when they would be set free from that hell we call a brothel. 


Final Word

Deepak Yadav, 

Trust my words and believe me! 

You don’t belong to this world. I am admiring your effort of meeting these sex-workers and shedding tears as a real human. Who does that? I am going to read your first book too but if I ever meet you again I am going to greet you with folded hands because I owe you this much after reading this book. I cried, I cried some more and I kept the book for another day. I picked it up and completed it because I didn’t want to cry for days. I know, I am selfish but this book I have shared with my mother too. Everyday I told her what all stories are written in it and how women are living in this atrocious world. Even she had sympathy and love for them in her eyes. You are going to achieve something good in life Deepak. Keep on walking on the path of humanity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe will hunt you down too!!

I yearn to build Sandcastles!!